1/3 cup butter
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 lb. chicken cubed or large chunks
1/3 cup flour
1/2 carrot shredded
1 stick of celery shredded
1/4 cup onion shredded
1/2 cup fresh spinach torn in pieces (optional)
2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
3 chicken bullion cubes
Cracked pepper to taste
17.6 oz. of Gnocchi (I found mine in the pasta aisle at Walmart)
On medium heat melt butter in a soup pot, add in the garlic and sautee. Add your chicken and cook through out. Add flour and mix well until the flour is cooked into the chicken. Next, add your milk and heavy cream. Then add the veggies(Carrots, Celery, Onion, Spinach). Add bullion cubes. Add your Gnocchi last, it takes 3-4 min. to cook throughout. Continue cooking until soup thickens, stirring occasionally. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Submitted by Shanae: Ohhh my goodness this turned out fabulous and is so great for cold, frigid, blustery days. It is similar to the newest Olive Garden soup, but in my opinion not nearly as salty and much creamier. It's almost like a chowder.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
This was REALLY good! We had it last night when it was cold and rainy and miserable outside and it was perfect.
I think Shanae's description of it is spot on. It is very creamy and not too salty. The kids really liked the gnocchi in the soup.
A few things I did a little different:
I used unsalted butter because I had it; I sauteed the onion and celery w/the garlic; I used the left-over cooked chicken from last month's recipe and it made the process go even faster (it was completely ready in 30 minutes!); I peeled the carrot into shreds with a peeler, I liked this because it made the carrots super thin; I used frozen spinach that I thawed and squeezed all the water out of w/a paper towel (I recommend adding the spinach, it really complements the rest of the soup); I could only find a 16 oz pkg of gnocchi so that's what I used.
Oh, and we ate it with some soft rolls. Mmmmmm, I'm going to eat more of this today for lunch.
FANTASTIC!! Thanks, Shanae!
Sounds delicious! My mom just tried the soup at Olive Garden and loved it, I bet she'll love this even more!
Mayberry doesn't eat Gnocchi. Mostly living in a small town suites us fine but this is the first time I have been sorely dissapointed. Two grocery store and a Walmart (nothing super about it) and NO Gnocchi. But maybe it is just culinary fate forcing my cooking skills to greater heights (much like this blog) because I made my own Gnocchi from scratch! A bit tricky but I would say they turned out okay. The soup was soooooo good itself and I think that helped. Too much extra work though, so next time we make a break for the nearer city we are definately stocking up on Gnocchi.
Too bad about Mayberry and their apparent distaste for Gnocchi, Brenda! VERY impressed that you made your own!
Post a Comment