Submitted by April: I have two recipes this month, since they are both simple and easy (but delicious!) recipes and I couldn't decide which one. Feel free to make one or both! Chips Miai (pronounced "my eye"). It's something that street vendors in Tanzania serve frequently. The chips part of the meal is fries; we prefer steak fries, but any fries will do. The miai part is eggs. We got this recipe from a friend who served his mission in Kenya, and it has definitely become a monthly favorite at our house.
Chips Miai
1 pkg. steak fries, baked according to package directions and seasoned*
6 eggs, beaten
cheddar cheese, grated
1 to 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
Heat cooking oil in a large skillet. Add the cooked steak fries and let them crisp for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beaten eggs and stir to coat steak fries. Cook until eggs are cooked through, turning occasionally. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top, turn off heat, and cover. Once cheese is melted, serve.
We like to eat our chips miai with ketchup. You could also use hot sauce. Yum! Serve with fruit or raw veggies and dip.
*We sprinkle our chips lightly with seasoning salt. We've also tried regular salt and pepper and curry. It's all good, but the seasoning salt is our favorite.
Curry Chicken Salad
3 cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, chopped (or one 12 oz can from costco! Yummy and so much easier!)
1/2 cup to 1 cup low-fat mayo (the exact amount depends on how much "extras" you add)
2-3 tsps curry powder (we like a lot, so we always use 3 tsp)
3 stalks celery chopped
1 apple chopped
optional:
green onions, chopped
1/2 can chunk pineapple
grapes
raisins
nuts (either pecans, walnuts, or cashews....whatever is your favorite)
Directions: Mix together in medium bowl. Add or take away ingredients based on your family's preference. This is a great way to introduce your family to curry flavoring! You can serve it in pita bread, tortillas, croissants, regular sandwich bread, or with crackers. For those watching their carbs you can even eat it with lettuce and make little lettuce wraps!
Note: I always add green onions and pineapple as well. I don't always have grapes. If I don't, then I sometimes add raisins. The picture is missing both grapes and raisins, but has everything else.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Just some links I found so you can read about chips miai (or mayai) and it's "history"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A22548431
http://searchwarp.com/swa17057.htm
I tried the Chips Miai with dinner last night. When I was making it I realized that it was a lot like making a breakfast skillet without the peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc.
The kids loved them, even Gabe who isn't a big egg fan!
I didn't have cheddar cheese so I used a combination of colby and swiss.
I'm really glad I gave it a try, I think next time I'm going to add the peppers, onions, tomatoes and bacon/ham and make it more of a main dish.
Thanks April!
Post a Comment